Membership EligibilityState Employees' Credit Union is a member-owned, not-for-profit cooperative. Membership is limited to persons who meet the eligibility requirements.
- Employees of the state of North Carolina
- Federal employees assigned to North Carolina state agencies (for example, a federal US Department of Agriculture employee assigned to work at the North Carolina Department of Agriculture)
- Employees of North Carolina public boards of education
- Members of the North Carolina National Guard
- Employees of Social Services, Health, Mental Health and Civil Defense of North Carolina counties
- Employees of associations formed for the benefit of state of North Carolina employees (e.g., State Employees’ Association of North Carolina)
- Employees of agencies or departments whose employees are subject to the North Carolina State Personnel Act
- Individuals retired from the above employment or service as pensioners and/or annuitants from the above employment or service. This includes former employees who are “vested” and have not withdrawn or terminated future eligibility to be a pensioner and/or annuitant.
- Un-remarried spouses of persons who died while in the field of membership
- Immediate family (spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, grandchild, stepparent, stepchild, stepsibling, and adoptive relationships)
- Persons living in the same residence maintaining a single economic unit1 of a current member
- Active (including part-time) and former employees of:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, Inc.
- BCBSNC Credit Union
- Any subsidiary organization of Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina, Inc.
- Cahaba Benefit Administrators, a division of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama (located in NC)
- Palmetto Government Business Administrators, a division of Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina (located in NC)
- Topaz Shared Services, Durham, NC
- Employees of Manpower Group who work at BCBSNC
Become a MemberIf you meet one of these eligibility requirements, you can become a member by opening a share account with a minimum deposit of $25. (A FAT CAT share account can be opened for eligible persons age 12 and under with a minimum initial deposit of $5.) For more information regarding share and deposit accounts with the Credit Union, you can view and print a copy of our Account Rules and Regulations, which is accessible on our Account Disclosures & Brochures page. To request membership, please contact your local branch or our 24/7 Member Services.
1 A single economic unit is defined as people who live in the same household with a member with a sense of permanency and contribute their economic resources to maintain and support the household.