Recovering from Hurricane Dorian: After the Storm

You weathered the storm, but may have sustained damage to your home or car. Remember, State Employees’ Credit Union is here to help!

Insurance Claims

If you have sustained damage to your home or car, contact your insurance agent to file a claim. Take pictures, make notes and protect your property from further damage. Depending on the circumstances, an adjuster may come and view the damage. Be patient as insurance companies may be handling a large volume of claim requests.

House Damage

Homeowners insurance typically covers damage from wind, falling trees and flying debris that breaks windows. If your home is uninhabitable, most homeowners and renters policies pay some additional living expenses while your property is being repaired. Check with your agent or insurance company to determine what expenses will be reimbursed and save your receipts. Most homeowners insurance policies do not cover flood damage. Flood insurance policies, available through the National Flood Insurance Program or private flood insurance carriers, may cover flood damage. Most insurance companies will make the claim check payable to you and your mortgage company if you have a mortgage on your property. If your mortgage is with SECU, take the check to your local branch. The branch may be able to release a portion of the funds to help secure your home and begin repairs. Additional funds will be released as needed to complete the repairs.

Recovering from Hurricane Dorian – The Road Back »

Automobile Damage

If your vehicle is damaged or totaled by the storm, your insurance company may cover damages if you had Comprehensive Coverage. If the vehicle can be repaired, the insurance company will work with you and the repair facility to have the vehicle fixed. If the vehicle cannot be repaired, the check for the value of your vehicle will be made payable to you and your lender if there is a lien on the vehicle. If you have a loan on your vehicle and you have Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) contact your lender to file a GAP claim. If you financed your vehicle with SECU, please contact your local branch for questions regarding this process.

Disaster Assistance may be available. Check for more information.